How low level laser therapy works on TMD
TMJ Relief Clinic uses a Low Level Laser Treatment (LLLT) to repair and reduce the pain of TMD
How laser therapy works on TMJ Dysfunction?
Low level laser therapy (LLLT) is an infra-red light treatment delivered directly to the site of the Temporomandibular Joint Disorder. We use the only the best equipment, employing the latest and most advanced Laser Therapy Technologies – the MLS Laser Therapy (Multiwave Locked System).
How does Low Level Laser Therapy Work?
Laser therapy is administered by a therapist or technician, greatly improving tissue repair, pain reduction and inflammation wherever the laser beam is applied.
- LLLT uses infra-red light therapy at a cellular level
- Laser therapy assists blood flow thus increasing oxygen, glucose and nutrients supplied to the affected muscles
- Stimulates the bodies own healing process and speeds up recovery time
- The protons stimulate collagen production, aiding ligaments and tissues to grow stronger, faster
- Reduces free radicals and oxidative stress
- increases cell metabolism and greatly reduces pain. also healing the nerves surrounding the jaw disk.
What are the benefits of laser therapy?
- Accelerates healing and greatly reduces long lasting pain
- Reduces pain and inflammation without the use of medications
- It can improve the health of your damaged jaw disk as well as speed up your recovery time
- Non-invasive and non-surgical treatment
- Helps improve range of movement and physical function
- As it is pain-free, it can be applied to very sore muscles and joints without causing further trauma
- Can be used on all ages
- No side effects
How safe is low level laser therapy?
- Low Level Laser Therapy is a safe, pain-free, simply a comfortable application of infra- red light
- Reduces the need for anti-inflammatory medications
- No heat is omitted, it will not damage cells or burn the skin or surrounding tissue
How long does each session take?
Treatments take about 10 minutes and should be applied two or more times a week although the amount of appointments required varies case by case.
When might LLLT not be effective?
Low Level Cold Lasers have limited power and therefore may not always be effective at reaching the deeply damaged area of the disk. In this case your qualified specialist will advise you of alternative methods of treatment.
Contact us today to make an appointment for an assessment to see how Low Level Laser Therapy can benefit you.